*Ibadan is the third Largest city in Africa after Cairo
*Ibadan is the third most Populous city in Nigeria
after Kano and Lagos
*Ibadan is the Home of Nigeria Army 2nd Division
*Ibadan City alone has a population of 3,720,643
people (2006 census), with this more populous than
States like, Enugu, Gombe, Osun, Cross-River, Sokoto, Ondo, Kebbi, Edo, Benue, Bayelsa, Abia,
Kwara, Adamawa, Ebonyi, Kogi, Nasarawa, Taraba,
Pleatue, Ekiti, Yobe and Zamfara (2006 census)
*Ibadan has 11 recognised Local Government Area
with an Average of 338,462 people per L.G.A as against 150,000 people per L.G.A of Fed constitution recommendation, the Nigerian Constitution stipulate 14 L.G.A for provision to create a state
* “Ibadan North” L. G. A. is one of the first four most populated L.G.A in Nigeria with 856,988 people and
Oluyole 734,377 people (2006 census)
*Ibadan has 5 metropolitan L.G.A namely Ibadan
North, Ibadan North-West, Ibadan North-East, Ibadan
South-West and Ibadan South-East
*Ibadan has 6 Urban L.G.A namely Egbeda, Oluyole, Ona-Ara, Lagelu,Akinyele and Iddo
*Ibadan has its oldest L.G.A as Oluyole L.G.A and Lagelu L.G.A
*Ibadan is the Capital of Western Colonial
Administration 1893 and also Western Region since
1939 *Ibadan operates the most orderly and peaceful
monarchy system anywhere in the whole universe
*Ibadan hosts the very first University in Nigeria and
the first and the best Zoological Garden nationwide (in the University of Ibadan campus)
*Ibadan cover a total Area of 3,186 sq. km (1,195sq miles) close to the whole of Lagos State 3,348 sq.
*Ibadan has 7 Federal Constituencies as against
constitution stipulation of 6 to create a state
*Ibadan puts Oyo State as the 4th largest economy in
Nigeria *Ibadan is Nigeria’s 3rd cheapest city to live.
*Ibadan has a Federal Airport (Alakia), boarding
passengers to cities like Kano, Lagos, Abuja, Benin,Port Harcourt etc.
*Ibadan has 4 Government Reservation Areas (GRA,
as we call them) – Iyaganku, Jericho, Onireke, and Agodi.
*Ibadan hosted the first Housing Corporation in
Nigeria that built the first housing estate in Nigeria,
Bodija Housing Estate.
* Ibadan has the oldest Surviving Newspaper in
Nigeria (Tribune Newspaper) * Ibadan hosts the first TV station in the whole of Africa 1959 as WRBC, later WNTV/WNBS and now NTA Ibadan
* Ibadan has 7 Television stations (Galaxy as the first
private station in Nigeria 1996, NTA, AIT, MiTV,
BCOS, Channels Ibadan and Silverbird Ibadan)
* Ibadan has a whopping 14 Radio stations operating in the same city; namely Fresh FM, Splash FM, Inspiration, Premier FM, Oluyole FM, Lagelu FM, Star FM, Space FM, Diamond/UI FM, Naija FM, Radio Nigeria, Amuludun FM etc.
*Ibadan hosts Mapo Hall, one of only 2 Town Halls in Africa of Greco-Roman architectural style.
*Ibadan’s house-numbering, system for postal delivery using the cardinal points, N, S, E, W, SW,SE, NW, and NE is the only one of such postal codes in Africa, designed by the British.
*Ibadan has the Bower Tower, designed by British Colonial Officer Taffy (also designed the Mapo Hall)
is the only structure of its kind in Nigeria and West
Africa, located on top of the city in the Agala Forest.
*Ibadan hosted the first fruit canning factory in
Nigeria, Lafia Canning Company, established and
owned by the Western Nigeria Development Corporation, and supplied by the citrus and pineapple farm of Apoje, near Ijebu Igbo (in present day Ogun State)
*Ibadan consists of several almost-independent, self-
sustaining big communities:
• The City itself • University of Ibadan campus
• The Ibadan Polytechnic campus
• The University College Hospital (UCN) community
• The Moor Plantation Community, including the
• The IITA community • CRIN community
• The Nigerian Railway compound and living quarters
• The Odogbo Barracks community of the Nigerian
• The Lead City University campus
• The religious communities of Immanuel College and the Dominican Community.
*Ibadan is the only city in Nigeria that has over 15
Federal Tertiary Institutions/Research Institutes,
1. University of Ibadan, formerly University College,
Ibadan,1948 (Nigeria’s Premier University).
2. Nigeria Institute for Social and Economic
3. Institute for Agricultural Research and Training
(I.A.R &T) Moor Plantation
4. National Institute of Horticulture Research and
5. National Cereal Research Institute (NCRI) 1978
6. National Root Crop Research Institute (NRCRI)
7. Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria (FRIN)
8. University College Hospital (UCH) 1948, including School of Nursing.
9. Federal School of Statistics 10. Federal School of Hygiene
11. Federal Co-operative College
12. Federal College of Agriculture,1921
13. Federal College of Animal Health and Production Technology
14. Federal College of Forestry .
15. International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, IITA (an international/global Institute)
16. Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria (CRIN)1976
17. National Institute of Science Laboratory
18. Ibadan Polytechnic (owned by Oyo State) but started as the National College of Science and
* Ibadan has several private higher institutions of learning such as:
• Immanuel College of Theology
• Lead City University • Ibadan City Polytechnic
• BOLMOL Polytechnic
• Dominican University
• Tower Polytechnic
• All-Ibadan College of Education
• Mufu Lanihun College of Education *Ibadan has the Largest Supermarket in Africa (Shoprite Ibadan Ring-Road branch).
*Ibadan has the first stadium and International
Stadium in Nigeria (1945) the Liberty Stadium (now
Obafemi Awolowo Stadium) with 35,846 capacity
*Ibadan is the home of Book Publishers, having over major 20 printing companies i.e. Oxford University Press, Ibadan University Press, Heinemann, Evans,
Spectrum, Bounty, Odua Press, Macmillan etc.
*Ibadan hosts the Regional Headquarter of Central
Bank Of Nigeria, Dugbe, under which states like
Ondo,Delta, Ogun, Kogi,Edo Ekiti, Ilorin, and Oyo operate.
*Ibadan to Oyo is the first motorable road in Nigeria
1905 built by Sir Percy Girouard
*The busiest road in Nigeria after Lagos-Abeokuta
expressway is Lagos-Ibadan followed by Abuja-
Kaduna express road *An Ibadan man, Mr Taiwo Akinkumi designed Nigeria
Nation Flag (1959)
*Ibadan has the first tallest building in Africa, “Cocoa
*Ibadan hosts the first set of Secondary schools in
• St. Anne’s School, Molete 1868,
• Ibadan Grammar School, Molete, 1913,
• Ibadan Boys High School, 1938,
• Government College, Apata, Ibadan 1927,
• Queen School, Apata, Ibadan 1956,
• St Patrick Grammar School 1962, • Ibadan City Academy, Eleta, 1946,
• Wesley College, Elekuro, (a teacher training college)
• St. Theresa’s Girl School, Oke-Ado, 1932,
• St. Theresa Minor Seminary Oke-Are (a secondary school) was established between 1902-1903,
• Yejide Girls Grammar School, Kudeti, 1956,
• Loyola College, Agodi,1954, • Lagelu Grammar School, Agugu,1958
• Igbo Elerin Grammar School, via Ibadan, 1957.
*Ibadan is the city with the highest number of
Professors in the whole of Africa
*Ibadan is the fastest growing city in Nigeria (NBS).
Compiled by Gaphar Ojetola .